1 cup buckwheat or kasha
2 cups water
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 small handful of green beans, chopped
1 yellow crookneck or patty pan squash, chopped
1/4 cup roasted sunflower seeds
- Dry-roast buckwheat in a 350° F oven for 5-10 minutes or until it’s nutty and golden brown. Shake the tray once or twice to make sure the grain is roasting evenly.
- Bring water to a boil.
- Slowly add the buckwheat and let the water return to a boil.
- Turn heat down and simmer.
- Add beans and squash to the grain after it has cooked 10 minutes.
- Continue cooking 10 more minutes.
- Stir in sunflower seeds, fluff, and serve.
- Try green zucchini/courgette or snow peas instead of green beans.
- Try pumpkin or other seeds in place of sunflower seeds.
- Buckwheat is a relative of the rhubarb family and not a true grain.